The 1951 UN Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees
Some Facts about Asylum in the UK
- The Home Office detains around 1000 children seeking asylum with their families each year
(Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health, Intercollegiate Briefing, 2009)
- The U.K. is home to less than 2% of the world's refugees
(UNHCR 2008 Global Trends Paper)
- Around 80% of the world's refugees are living in developing countries, often in camps. Africa and Asia host between them, more than three quarters of the world's refugees. Europe looks after just 14%
(UNHCR Global Trends Paper, 2007)
- Most asylum seekers in the U.K. are living in poverty and experience poor health and hunger.
(Independent Asylum Commission citizens' Inquiry, The Independent, 2007)
- An estimated 30, 000 jobs have been created in Leicester by Ugandan refugees since 1972.
(The Observer, They fled with nothing but built a new empire, 11 August 2002)